Strategies that get you more customers
Through the years we have been involved in helping several therapists to cultivate their local market, to attract more customers and double their turnover.
So when one of our clients asked me if I had any marketing tips on how he should get his business off the ground, I gave him some concrete strategies.
I thought that the information might be valuable to others who are also in the same situation.
The tips are mainly designed for those who work with Swedish Fascia Vibes and Fascia, but you might possibly find them useful as well.
First and foremost, you know more than you think and above all more than your customers
Stop for a while and think about what you really know. You have probably gone through years of training and you most likely have practical experience of treatments. In addition, most therapists I meet also have good knowledge about either exercise, diet or other health-related subjects.
What you see as obvious may well be something that your customers have no idea of. Do not underestimate your own knowledge. What is it that you know that others benefit from hearing?
It is largely about spreading the word locally, to showcase you and your business. Why not invite to a short lecture on your specialist topic (e.g. Fascia), or any of your other areas of expertise. No doubt in my mind that you have certain knowledge that others would find valuable to have.
Dare to take the position as the expert and start telling people about yourself, your passion and your treatments.
Tips for getting started
- Set aside at least half day (preferably a whole) for marketing and customer care every week.
- Make a to-do-list and when each task should be completed.
- Do one thing at a time. It may sound obvious, but it is so much better to plan two activities and implement them, than to plan five and implement one.
The order of the composition can vary according to what you think is right for you, but here are some suggestions.
1. Seminar / lecture / open house (advantage: inexpensive)
– Might perhaps be a good idea to get help from a friend or a family member that goes around and makes sure everyone is doing well. Offer snacks, drinks. Make it a nice event in the local area.
2. Events / fairs (note: locally!). Ideal for demonstrating your machine (trial treatment of 2-5 minutes).
– What fairs are there? Who can you reach there? Remember that it is mainly about your local area. If many people talk about you, more people will automatically become curious: “I went and got an incredibly nice treatment yesterday, really cool!” – Well, where? “With Tony, he’s really good!”
3. List of influential people.
– Who can you get in touch with? Sometimes one client can be worth 10 clients. When we came in contact with Mr. Sven Lindblom we realized that this was a good person to have as a satisfied customer. He has to more or less been the reason that we got at least 30 new clients. Who is your Mr. Lindblom?
Get started on that list and think big scope. For example, on our list you will find:
cab drivers, carpenters, doctors, dentists, vets, hairdressers, beauty salons, SPA:s, sports clubs, teachers, health stores, riding centers, police and fire department, and so forth.
When we wanted to get a clinic off the ground in August 2011 we went around to all the businesses, shops, etc. in our neighborhood around Sveavägen 76 in Stockholm. We introduced ourselves and distributed flyers with an offer of free exam and inquiry (back then we had no battery driven machine!). One of businesses was a health food store that began to send people to us.
After that day, with 2-3 hours of walking around, and by using good customer care (contact / follow up with past clients), good results and by encouraging customers to provide discount vouchers to their friends – we had 3 treatment rooms fully booked for 6 – 8 hours per day, for two months.
You (with a machine) have an advantage we did not have then – you can bring the machine. Go to a local gym and ask if you can stand in the reception area and do some treatments (standing, about 2-5 minutes). Provide your customers with your contact information so they know where to go afterwards. Your presence will benefit the gym (as well) since you offer something interesting and of value to their clients.
The “stand-up-demo-treatments” can be offered in a lot of other places. If you demonstrate on 150-200 people in the next few weeks you will probably be fully booked for a year!
This is what marketing is all about – reach out to as many people as possible. And act! You have to be doing things.
/Axel Bohlin, Marketing Director Atlasbalans